In our effort to reduce plastic waste, many of us have started looking for plastic-free alternatives to everyday household items, including cleaning products. Choosing eco-friendly cleaning products that are not only plastic-free but also ethical, non-toxic, cruelty-free, and climate-neutral can make a big impact both on our health and on the environment – but they can be hard to find.
In this blog, we’ll recommend five brands that offer household cleaning products that are ethical, plastic-free, and eco-friendly, and that actually work.
How We Chose Our Recommendations
To help you in your search for plastic-free household cleaning products, we’ve selected our recommendations based on the following criteria:
- Plastic-free packaging: All the brands we recommend use recycled plastic or plastic-free packaging that is either compostable or refillable.
- Ethical ingredients: We’ve chosen brands that use ingredients that are non-toxic, biodegradable, cruelty-free, and safe for the environment.
- Climate-neutral: We’ve selected brands that are committed to reducing their carbon footprint and using sustainable practices in their production and shipping.
- Effective: All of the products we recommend are effective cleaners that will get the job done, regardless of their packaging and ingredients.
5 of the Best Plastic-Free Householding Cleaning Brands
After extensive research, here are our recommendations for the best plastic-free cleaning product brands:
Source: Tru Earth review by Helen M
- Check out their store: Amazon
Tru Earth is a company that offers a range of eco-friendly cleaning products with a focus on reducing plastic waste. All of their cleaning products come in the form of dissolvable strips, so all you have to do is drop them in hot water in any reusable container you choose.
Furthermore, their entire product line is packaged in compostable materials made from paper and are much lighter and more compact than traditional cleaning bottles, which allows them to take up less space. All of their cleaning strips are also made with non-toxic ingredients that are gentle on clothes and skin while being safe for the environment.
- Compostable packaging made from paper, which reduces plastic waste
- Tru Earth’s products are made with plant-based and biodegradable ingredients, making them more eco-friendly.
- Their products are convenient and easy to use, making them a great option for busy households.
- Tru Earth’s product range may not meet all of a customer’s cleaning needs, as they specialize in laundry products.
- Check out their store: Amazon
As another company that specializes in eco-friendly cleaning products, Dropps offers laundry and dishwasher detergent pods made from natural, plant-based ingredients, which are gentle on clothes and dishes, yet tough on stains and grime. The ingredients in Dropps products are up to 60% bio-based, with their major plant-derived ingredient being glycerin.
These products are delivered in recycled and compostable cardboard packaging, and the pods themselves are made of a plastic-free, polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH) film, which is designed to dissolve upon contact with water so there’s no need to worry about plastic waste.
Dropps also offers non-toxic hand soap, dish spray, and a revitalizing air and fabric freshener, all of which come in a refillable, recyclable glass container – just order some dissolvable refill pods, drop them in some water and you’re good to go! Glass is also infinitely recyclable, which helps reduce waste and the need for single-use plastic packaging.
- Compostable packaging is made from plant-based materials which reduces plastic waste
- Dropps uses natural, plant- and mineral-based ingredients that are non-toxic in their products.
- Their hand soap, dish spray, and air and fabric freshener come in refillable, recyclable glass containers
- We noticed that the detergent pods may not fully dissolve in shorter cycles
Source: Amazon review by AnitaAZ
- Check out their store: Amazon
Cleancult is a company that offers a range of cleaning products that are designed to be eco-friendly while remaining effective, including laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaner, dish soap, and hand soap. We love their refillable containers, which are glass with a shatterproof silicone sleeve. When you run out of a product, you can simply order a refill (which comes in a recycled, paper-based carton) and reuse the same container.
In addition to their refillable containers, Cleancult’s cleaning products are also formulated with climate-neutral, non-toxic ingredients that are safe for your family and the environment. All of their products are made without any phthalates, phosphates, petroleum-based ingredients, dyes, SLS, or SLES.
- Cleancult’s refillable containers and refill system are eco-friendly and reduce waste
- The glass containers with shatterproof silicone sleeves are durable and long-lasting
- The use of climate-neutral, non-toxic ingredients makes their cleaning products safe for both human health and the environment
- Arrives in recycled shipping packaging
- The refillable system may not be as convenient for some customers who prefer to just buy a new product when it runs out. However, it helps reduce the amount of product packaging required.
With their biodegradable and recyclable packaging, Meliora has prevented over 1 million plastic bottles from ever existing. They offer dish soap, hand soap, and laundry detergent, which are all vegan-friendly, dye-free, preservative-free, brightener-free, and synthetic fragrance-free.
Meliora’s commitment to ethical business practices extends beyond their product formulations and packaging. They also prioritize transparency and disclose all of their ingredients on their website. Their products are made with natural, plant-based ingredients that are free from harmful chemicals like phthalates and parabens.
- Their commitment to sustainability includes biodegradable and recyclable packaging that reduces plastic waste
- Transparency about their ingredients allows consumers to make informed decisions
- Great for those with sensitive skin and allergies.
- We also love the way their scented products smell
- Limited product range with only dish soap, hand soap, and laundry detergent available means they may not meet all of a customer’s cleaning needs
Source: The Unscented Company on Amazon
The Unscented Company is a brand that strives to reduce the use of single-use plastics. Their range of household cleaning products, laundry detergent, and personal hygiene products are packaged in biodegradable materials, which eliminates single-use plastic. Instead of selling individual portions of these products, they sell refill boxes which allow you to use any non-plastic container that you have on hand. Each box saves two to eight plastic bottles from ending up in a landfill.
Furthermore, the entire product line of The Unscented Company is, as the name suggests, free of any fragrance chemicals. Fragrance ingredients can sometimes irritate sensitive skin, so people with skin sensitive to those additives who choose The Unscented Company can be confident their products won’t cause redness, itchy skin, or hives. With their biodegradable packaging and bulk products, The Unscented Company is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to keep their home clean while practicing eco-friendliness.
- The brand is committed to reducing plastic waste by using of biodegradable packaging
- Refills come in large quantities, which will last you a long time
- While the feedback is positive, this brand has fewer reviews than any other on this list
- Lack of transparency in the ingredient list
Top Picks for Plastic-Free Household Cleaning Products
Here are our top picks broken down by a few categories:
Widest Range of Products – Dropps
Dropps can be the one-stop shop for most of your eco-friendly cleaning supplies. With a wide range of laundry and household cleaning products, Dropps has you covered no matter the job you need to get done.
Most Environmentally Friendly – Meliora
Meliora is a Certified B Corporation that is committed to creating products that are healthy for people and the planet. All their products are cruelty-free, MADE SAFE Certified, and they have received an A from the Environmental Working Group (EWG). Using Meliora products will keep your conscience, and your home, clean.
Best Overall – Dropps
Dropps not only offers the widest range of products on this list, but we believe they also offer the highest quality while still being much more environmentally friendly than any of the big store names. On top of their plant-based and non-toxic ingredients, they deliver their products in biodegradable and recycled packaging.